Presentation of the Master’s Degree in Global and European Politics - ESPOL - Université Catholique de Lille
The Master’s Degree in Global and European Politics
The Master’s Degree in Global and European Politics is an advanced training programme focused on the regulation of contemporary societies in a globalised world. Due to Europeanisation and globalisation processes, there has been important shifts in the locus of governance, especially upwards and towards the global level, as national governments are no longer always able to respond alone to the challenges represented by the risks of armed conflicts, climate change, poverty or international crime.
Understanding today’s interdependent and interconnected world thus implies analysing both public actors, like states and international organisations, and private actors, such as businesses, networks and NGOs, at all levels of government. Our graduate programme, which concentrates on the regulation and implementation of public policies by European and global stakeholders, provides rigorous academic training and critical thinking skills for our students to thrive in this fast-changing world of international and European affairs.
Benefits of the Master’s Degree
- Advanced knowledge in policy-making: the degree enables students to understand how policies are formulated, implemented and monitored at the EU and international level.
- Key areas expertise: the degree provides the technical expertise required to become proficient in specific events and programmes related to either food policy or international security policy.
- Career-oriented skills: by going through coursework, workshops, internships, and job preparation exercises, our students enter the job market well prepared.
- Fluency in 2 or 3 languages: our MA improves our students’ linguistic skills through 48 hours of language classes per semester, ranging from beginner courses to advanced workshops.
Professional opportunities after our degree include government administration, politics and electoral campaigns, public policy, non-profit organisations, international organisations, businesses and journalism. Both specialisations of the degree provide access to various career opportunities such as:
- Public administration at national and subnational level: ministries, regional and local authorities, but also other public administration agencies recruit experts in public policy;
- International and European organisations, such as the European Union, the FAO, the OSCE or the European Environment Agency;
- NGOs, think tanks, trade unions, interest groups and lobbies often recruit experts with backgrounds in political science and international affairs;
- Businesses are increasingly recruiting people qualified in international affairs ;
- Academic career: students graduating from our MA can also access PhD programmes in order to pursue an academic career.