UPDATE - The Newsletter of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities (USA)
Sign up now for your free subscription to Update, the quarterly newsletter of ACCU. (Please provide your title and institutional affiliation.)
The Fall 2015 (PDF; 2.9 MB) issue of Update is now available (best viewed with Internet Explorer).
Catholic Higher Ed Welcomes Pontiff
The visit to the United States by Pope Francis brings attention to the ongoing social justice work of Catholic colleges and universities around the country.
Hidden in Plain Sight
A Vatican coaching seminar affirms the sacred nature of college athletics.
Cultivating Mind and Spirit Through Education
Academic institutions are seedbeds, says Pope Francis, places full of possibility, needing care and protection. He calls on educators to cultivate an environment of creative thinking, which fosters dialogue in the pursuit of a more humane world.
A Place for Dialogue
Pope Francis, through his recent encyclical on the environment and his upcoming remarks to the United Nations, offers Catholic higher education the opportunity to reflect on its mission.
Depth in an Age of Digital Distraction
The traditional values of Catholic colleges are especially important in today’s culture, in which the examined life is under siege from the ubiquitous temptations of technological diversion.
What Should Executive Compensation Look Like at Catholic Colleges and Universities?
The philosophy of executive pay at faith-based institutions should take into account several considerations—and withstand the scrutiny of all stakeholders.
Bella Roma! A Reflection on the 2015 ACCU Rome Seminar
The former president of Catholic Charities USA recalls six days in Rome, spent exploring both Church tradition and contemporary Catholic higher education challenges.
Global Solidarity Grants Advance Social Justice Programs
Four institutions of Catholic higher education, recipients of small grants to advance mission, combined spiritual development and an examination of values with educational objectives.
...and much more, including a calendar of upcoming events, Campus Notes, and Peace & Justice Initiatives.
Read extended editions of recent newsletter articles:
Frequently Asked Questions About the Affordable Care Act
By Kurt Lawson and Elizabeth Meers
HR Management: The Messenger Matters
By Rev. Craig B. Mousin, DePaul University
History Can Guide the Future of Catholic Social Teaching
By Vincent J. Miller, University of Dayton
Organizational Justice: A Core Competency for Catholic Colleges and Universities
By Gary Miller, DePaul University
Update is a FREE quarterly electronic newsletter of the ACCU with distribution to over 4,000 subscribers. Read past editions here.
If you would like to subscribe to the newsletter or submit news items related to your institution's Catholic mission and identity, please e-mail Paula Moore.
News items submitted for Update should meet the following guidelines:
- Introduce our presidents, administrators, and faculty to new or innovative activities and programs initiated by Catholic colleges and universities.
- Identify institutional initiatives for their significance to a national readership and for their contribution to the Church, the intellectual culture, and the common good.
- Inform member institutions about opportunities for participation in conversations and initiatives pertaining to Catholic higher education at the regional, national, and international levels.
- Share the achievements, success stories, and strategic planning efforts of member institutions in the areas of Catholic identity and institutional mission.
- Call attention to grants or grant opportunities that have as their explicit purpose, intent, or outcome the enhancement of the Catholic character of one or more institutions.
Please observe the following 2015 deadlines for article submission:
February 19, 2016March 15
May 20, 2016June 15
News items may be submitted to:
Fax: (202) 728-0977
Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities
One Dupont Circle NW
Washington, DC 20036